When you start using your new Clearlight web hosting account, it may be inconvenient to leave your current domain name managed by your old host/registrar. This would create the need to communicate with two different organizations: one providing the hosting services for your website and the other providing domain registration services for your website. We are happy to assist you with moving your existing domain to manage it together with your Clearlight hosting account.
Note: You can also transfer any domain you own even if you do not use it for your Clearlight hosting account.
If you have questions or would like assistance, please contact us or call 1-877-801-3231.
How do I transfer a domain name to Clearlight?
To transfer your domain name to Clearlight and manage it together with your hosting account, begin by adding the domain you wish to transfer:
After initiating the transfer, you will receive an email on behalf of Clearlight with any additional instructions. You may also receive a second email from your current registrar asking you to confirm the transfer once again.
Requirements for domain name transfer
- The domain name to be transferred is not in ‘locked’ Status.
- The customer has access to the administrative contact email for the domain.
- The customer can provide Clearlight with the domain EPP key code, applying to domains for which there is such a code.
- There are more than 15 days till the domain name expiration date.
- The domain name was registered for the first time more than 60 day ago.
- The domain name has one of the following extensions: .com; .net; .org; .us; .biz; .info.
- The domain transfer cost is $25.00 which is applied to 1 additional year of domain registration! (i.e. if your domain name expires in June 1, 2010 the expiration date would be changed to June 1, 2011 after the transfer is complete.)
- Once a domain name is transferred you will be able to renew your hosting account and domain name with Clearlight. The renewal fee for a transferred domain converted into a primary domain is due at the end of the registration period.
- The domain transfer can take up to 2 weeks, however, if you want to use this domain with your Clearlight hosting account before the transfer is complete, you can simply to point it to the Clearlight servers by changing its DNS settings. (Please keep in mind that you will not be able to change the DNS settings of the domain name during the transfer process!)